ePortfolio Math Knowledge - Prime numbers

Hello, this is how to find every prime number up to 100 using the Sieve of Eratosthenes.
Every highlighted number is composite.
First, we highlight 1 as it is not prime.
Next, we highlight every multiple of 2. This is easy as you just highlight all the even numbers  (except 2 as 2 is prime).
Next, you highlight all the multiples of 3. It shows a cool pattern when you're done.
Next, you highlight the multiples of 5. You don't highlight the 4s as we've already done that with the 2s.
Finally, we highlight the multiples of 7. We don't highlight the 6s as we've already highlighted the 2s and 3s, which are the prime factors of 6.
We don't have to look for the numbers of the rest (8, 9, 10) as they can be made from prime factors, (2 * 2 * 2, 3 * 3, 5 * 2)
And now we're done! These are the prime numbers from 1 to 100.

Reflection:
Medal: I can now easily get lots of prime numbers
Medal: I now understand the Sieve of Eratosthenes 
Backpack: Next time I need to make sure I'm displaying the data correctly (I highlighted 41)

Comments

  1. Thomas, I love how you have explained the Sieve of Eratosthenes in your own words. This is just one way to find prime numbers to 100. Well done!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Information Report

Traditional Gathering and Harvesting of Kai